So we already went over how Tony likes to “doctor up” my dishes with his hot peppers, right? That’s not the whole story. Hot peppers are one thing — they don’t really add much flavor, just heat. Sriracha though, Sriracha is a whole other mess.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m totally down for some rooster sauce – a little squirt here, a few drops on my pizza there. You know, normal people style.
Tony, on the other hand, uses Sriracha like a five year old uses ketchup. On anything and in
massive disturbing quantities. I don’t get it. Sriracha has a strong, garlicky flavor so it seems to me he’s ruining the flavor of the whole dish…. he begs to differ though. *sigh*
Anyway– Sriracha or not, we’re both a fan of these Asian chicken lettuce wraps. These are perfect to whip up in a hurry when you’re in the mood for a light dinner and leftovers are great for lunch the next day. I’ve been keeping these vegetables on hand so that I can make a batch anytime I have leftover chicken too!
If you’re in the mood for a more hearty dinner try turning these ingredients into a large chopped salad – use the same amount of toppings on a large bed of lettuce (points will stay the same).
P.S. A few drops of Sriracha on top isn’t half bad!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into small bite-sized pieces
- 4 tsp olive oil
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lettuce, divided into large pieces for wraps
- carrots, shredded
- green onions, sliced
- red pepper pepper, sliced
- sliced almonds, preferably toasted
- cilantro (optional)
- Fat Free Asian ginger dressing, such as Trader Joe’s Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette****
- Heat 4 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken well with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add chicken to the skillet and saute until cooked through and slightly golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rest of your vegetables.
- Spoon ¼ chicken mixture into lettuce wraps (about 3 pieces of lettuce) top with shredded carrots, green onions, and red bell peppers. Drizzle 2 Tbsp dressing over wraps and top with 2 Tbsp sliced almonds.
Are you a fan of Sriracha?