I’ve done something terrible.
I just discovered Grey’s Anatomy and now I can’t stop watching. I want to…but I can’t. I’m not kidding when I say that I’m completely out of the loop when it comes to anything and everything pop culture. Twitter and it’s fancy hashtags boggles my brain. I don’t know who won a single season of American idol and can someone please tell me what this Gnagnam dance is all about? No wait, don’t. For the most part I’m happy living in my little hole dreaming about my next garden and the prospect of chicken keeping.
….. did I just say that?
Annnnnyway, so currently, a billion years after it first aired I’m finally watching Grey’s which means I’m more interested in the thought of getting in a couple of episodes than spending time making dinner. This meal is perfect for those nights when you’re too busy (or lazy) to cook.
I love how fast and versatile stir-frys are. They’re a clean-out the fridge, pack in as many veggies as possible, all around feel good meal. And right now I can’t think of anything better than being planted on the couch with this take-out inspired dinner. Well this dinner plus pajamas and the world’s ugliest house shoes, of course.
This is what happens when it gets dark at 6pm.
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced into bite-size pieces
- 4 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1½ tsp corn starch, divided
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- broccoli florets, 2-3 cups
- 4 green onions, tops sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger (I used the kind in a tube)
- ¼ cup chicken broth, more if needed
- In a large resealable bag, combine egg white with 1 Tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp cornstarch. Season chicken well with pepper and garlic powder, add to bag and coat chicken with mixture. Place bag in refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables and sauce. For sauce: Mix 2 tbsp rice vinegar with 3 tbsp soy sauce and remaining ½ tsp corn starch, set aside.
- Once chicken has marinated heat 2 tsp olive oil in a large skillet or wok. Drain chicken and discard marinade. Stirfry chicken in oil until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove from skillet, set aside.
- Using the same skillet stirfry peppers, onion, and broccoli in remaining 2 tsp olive oil. After 3 minutes add ginger, garlic, and water chestnuts to vegetables as well as ¼ cup chicken broth. Continue cooking vegetables another 4 minutes. If vegetables become dry add more chicken broth as needed.
- Stir sauce mixture and add to skillet. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes until sauce begins to thicken and vegetables are crisp-tender. Add chicken to the pan, heat through.
- Top stir fry with additional green onions and serve over brown rice or quinoa if desired.*
What’s your favorite meal to eat while watching TV? Pizza? Take out? Also please feel free to tell me if I’m wasting my life by watching Grey’s Anatomy. If the whole show becomes a giant train wreck that I should avoid just go ahead and warn me now!